Monday, April 4, 2011

In the Art Room - Zentangles

I've been seeing a lot of Zentangles on the web lately.  I've even seen them transformed into art lessons on Artsonia and I think this could turn into a really fun free art activity for the kids. 

The definition from zentangle.com is as follows:
Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is a fascinating new art form that is fun and relaxing. It increases focus and creativity. Zentangle provides artistic satisfaction and an increased sense of personal well being. Zentangle is enjoyed by a wide range of skills and ages and is used in many fields of interest.

Another site, TanglePatterns.com, has great directions and easy to follow directions to get started.

Here are a couple examples from Life Imitates Doodles

 

4 comments:

  1. Zentangle is a wonderful activity for both adults and children. It easy enough for beginners and flexible enough to keep advanced students interested. It's a relaxing way to create!

    Thank you for sharing my work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to see where my students take this! Did you learn on your own? I saw a kit you could purchase from the Zentangle site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zentangling is fun and is a great way to give all kids a buzz of success as the motto of one line at a time gives them the opportunity to break complex patterns down into simple lines. My class had great fun creating these:
    http://kalligrafix.blogspot.com/2011/04/primary-school-abcs.html
    They thought it was very special to have someone come in to share and teach them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Art teacher....

    I am a certifed Zentangle teacher in the Northern Va area. I would love to get together with you. Maybe we could introduce this to your students. I know Rick and Maria have special supplies coming out soon, geared at students. Please contact me if you are interested. zen2tangle@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete